Re: How to add pseudo vector types

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to add pseudo vector types
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 08:21:02 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 21:29:02 +0200
>
> >> Guys, you are speculating too much about minutia and worst-case
> >> scenarios. (Do we really care about TS not supporting files larger than
> >> 4GB? I mean, REALLY?)
> >
> > Yes, we do.  For at least 2 reasons: (a) source code files produced by
> > programs can be very large;
>
> I know, I work with machine-generated (read: code-dense) 20+MB C++ files
> on a regular basis.
>
> However, I wouldn't agree on renouncing to useful features because they
> could be problematic when dealing with large files. That is, it would be
> a mistake to discard TS as inadequate for Emacs just because it doesn't
> benefit (and I say "not benefit", not "penalise") certain use cases.

It was not my intent to say we should discard TS as inadequate because
of these limitations.  What I meant is that we should know about the
limitations and plan in advance how to handle them when a user bumps
into them.  Disabling TS-related features could be one such
mitigation, but maybe we could come up with smarter fallbacks.

It sounds like the rest of you message was to convince me not to give
up on TS, in which case there's no need: I'm convinced already, and
mostly agree with what you say.

> Talking about scenarios of heavy memory usage, I'll comment in passing
> that in my recent experience, once Emacs exceeds 2GB the gc pauses start
> to be so annoying that I don't care anymore about how much memory an
> external tool would use if it works fast enough.

That's a separate issue.  And the amount of memory GC has to scan is
not directly related to the memory footprint of the Emacs process.  So
I would be interested in seeing the results of memory-report in those
cases where GC takes too long (in a separate thread, please).