Re: Add Maildir support to RMAIL

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Add Maildir support to RMAIL
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 08:35:07 +0000

csh <csh@bluehome.net> writes:

> Fellow Emacsites,
>
> I really love the simplicity of reading mail with RMAIL, but most
> email providers no longer use the mbox format for mail.  Is there any
> way someone could get RMAIL working with Maildir mailboxes?

I have thought about this in the past, but I don't think it would be
possible without rewriting RMAIL to a significant degree. RMAIL can be
seen as a major mode for mbox files, and translating that onto Maildir
would probably turn out messy if backwards compatibility is to be
maintained.

It would probably be better to create a new client, that might use Gnus
code, but tries to provide a Rmail-like interface (and not trying to
abstract over all possible news sources, but just limiting itself to
email). I started writing code for a client like this some while ago,
but gave up because Gnus is good enough for me.

--
        Philip Kaludercic