Re: Add Maildir support to RMAIL

From: Antoine Kalmbach
Subject: Re: Add Maildir support to RMAIL
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 09:37:54 +0300

csh <csh@bluehome.net> writes:

> Could you write an article on how to set that up?
> <https://ane.github.io/2020/09/09/rmail.html> doesn't say how.

Well, it would be a really short one, but I might at some point.  Thanks
for the request.  In the meantime, if you install OfflineIMAP (or its
alternative, mbsync[0]) it should place a template configuration where
you only need to change standard things like the host of your email
server, username, password, and so on.  Then you will be syncing your
mail to some local folder like ~/imap.  Then all you need to set is

(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list '("maildir:///home/you/imap/INBOX"))

and make sure GNU Mailutils is installed.  That's it, Rmail takes care of
the rest.  You'll need to set up a cronjob to run your syncing utility
regularly.  Futhermore, I recommend reading the Rmail manual about remote
inboxes[1].

[0] https://isync.sourceforge.io/mbsync.html
[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Rmail-Inbox.html

--