Re: master e315544: ; * src/fileio.c (Fdirectory_append): Doc fix.

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master e315544: ; * src/fileio.c (Fdirectory_append): Doc fix.
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 17:36:42 +0200

> So (file-name-concat x y) is roughly equivalent to
>
> (let (file-name-handler-alist)
>   (concat (file-name-as-directory x) y))

Yes, I think so.

> Perhaps this could be mentioned somewhere in the manual?

In the file-name-concat bit in the manual?  I'm not sure that would be
all that informative for the readers, really...  (But it would explain
things to people who did do a concat/file-name-as-directory thing before
this function existed, so perhaps mentioning this in NEWS would make
sense.)

> This would also precise, that leading slashes in COMPONENTS are kept.

I'm not sure why we'd mention anything about leading slashes here at
all?  Or slashes in the middle of components, for that matter:

(file-name-concat "/tmp/" "//foo////bar")
=> "/tmp///foo////bar"