Emacs 28.1 release schedule... ish

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Emacs 28.1 release schedule... ish
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 21:23:49 +0200

We've gotten a lot of new functionality in Emacs 28, and it's almost two
years since the emacs-27 release branch was cut, so it's time to start
thinking about cutting an emacs-28 branch.

We have a very tentative schedule: We won't cut the emacs-28 branch
until (at the earliest) in mid-September.  So if you have some planned
features that you really want to have in Emacs 28.1, now is the time to
polish them up and push them to the trunk over the next half dozen
weeks.

In mid September we'll evaluate the situation again, and if things look
OK, we'll cut the emacs-28 branch (which will then be "bug fix only"
after that), and then move "master" to 29.0.50.

The Emacs 28.1 release will then be done after the emacs-28 release
branch is stable enough (and documentation is revised etc), which is an
unknown number of months, but hopefully not a very large unknown number.