Re: Font size

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Font size
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 00:09:47 +0700

On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 at 23:11, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > > 1. Why do Xresources and GSettings sizes differ from what C-u C-x =
> > >    reports?
> >
> > Likely because the former are specified in points (1 pt = 1/72 in) and
> > the latter in pixels (1 px = 1/96 in by default).
>
> is this tru also for GSettings font sizes in the X+GTK build of Emacs?
> Because then we'd need to document that in the "Fonts" section of the
> Emacs manual, where all the different methods of specifying a font are
> described.

The org.gnome.desktop.interface GSettings schema does not say
explicitly which units the size is specified in, and whether
fractional values are allowed.

    <key name="font-name" type="s">
      <default>'Cantarell 11'</default>
      <summary>Default font</summary>
      <description>
        Name of the default font used by gtk+.
      </description>
    </key>
    <key name="document-font-name" type="s">
      <default>'Cantarell 11'</default>
      <summary>Document font</summary>
      <description>
        Name of the default font used for reading documents.
      </description>
    </key>
    <key name="monospace-font-name" type="s">
      <default>'Source Code Pro 10'</default>
      <summary>Monospace font</summary>
      <description>
        Name of a monospaced (fixed-width) font for use in locations like
        terminals.
      </description>
    </key>