Re: Async rebuild package-quickstart after packages update? was Re: 28.0

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Async rebuild package-quickstart after packages update? was Re: 28.0.50; Proposal: slightly more efficient package-quickstart.el
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 14:11:40 -0400

> Do we know what other "relevant variables" are here?

If we're lucky the vars defined in package.el are all we need.
But of course, the users may also be using a setup where the installed
packages only work after running some of the `.emacs`.

So one option is to transfer to the subprocess the current value of the
vars defined in `package.el`.  Another is to tell the subprocess to read
the init files.

BTW, all these issues are faced (and partly solved) by the `async`
package we have in GNU ELPA.  We really should try and include it into
Emacs core.

        Stefan