Re: On the adoption of transient.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On the adoption of transient.el
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 09:11:08 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 02:17:07 +0300
>
> >> The "C-x v v" workflow works for Git as far as you use Git as you use
> >> CVS.
> >
> > Which is too little.  For example, the pull and push commands are part
> > of every simple Git workflow, but "C-x v v" doesn't support them,
> > AFAIK.  If you are going to claim that push and pull are not part of
> > "using Git as you use CVS", then I will claim that your notion of
> > using Git as CVS is pretty useless in practice.
>
> This is already possible with something like this (untested!)
>
> (advice-add 'vc-git-checkin
>             :after (lambda (&rest _args)
>                      (vc-git-push "Do you want to push it? ")))

If we are looking for workarounds, instead of actually solving the
problem, then it is much easier and cleaner to say "git push" from the
shell prompt.

And btw, I'm not sure the very next step after commit is an immediate
push.  At least that's not what I do in my workflow.  We need to
seriously discuss the workflows before we decide how to extend
vc-next-action to support modern dVCSes.