Re: Tramp and conversion of \r\n into \n

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Tramp and conversion of \r\n into \n
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2021 18:04:29 -0400

Michael Albinus [2021-08-07 15:51:43] wrote:
> In general, a remote shell is opened, and the command is executed
> there. So we have a tty.
>
> An exception are the "direct async processes", introduced in Tramp
> 2.5. They call the command directly, w/o a remote shell. But they have
> their limitations.

Ah, right , that makes sense.
I guess if we wanted to more faithfully simulate a pipe, we'd have to
send the process input via something like a base64 decoder and get the
output via a base64 encoder: this way not only stdin/stdout is a pipe but
we can protect ourselves from the way ttys can mess with some bytes (as
seen in this thread) and also overcome some of the limits of some ttys
when sending "large" amounts of data at a time (IIRC on some systems
this can either freeze the tty or the tty may insert extra chars like
^A or some such; my memory says the macOS kernel was such a culprits
some years ago).

The cure way be worse than the disease, tho.

        Stefan