Re: "Command Discovery In Emacs "

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: "Command Discovery In Emacs "
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 22:15:26 +0900

> On Aug 16, 2021, at 21:56, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:
>
>>> See the "Command Modes" section in the Emacs Lisp manual.
>>
>> It doesn't say whether there is an easy way to find which mode is a
>> given function associated to... :)
>
> There is and there isn't.  :-)  This stuff is about creating a way to
> reliably find commands that are meant for a specific mode -- there isn't
> one today.
>
> But in practice it's pretty easy.  If you look at a random (special)
> mode like tetris.el, it's pretty obvious which commands are for that
> mode only (and which ones aren't), which makes tagging up the commands
> easy enough.

Ok, that's what I eventually guessed. So, the idea is to check whether a
function is interactive and try to guess whether it is limited to a given mode
(most probably the mode it is defined in), and if yes tag it ?

 I'll give that a try for a few modes I use. Thank you for this feature! After
helpful, which-keys, it really is a nice addition. I'm always looking for such
modes/features that help with the discovery process.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com