Re: [NonGNU ELPA] Error during "make sync/highlight-parentheses"

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] Error during "make sync/highlight-parentheses"
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 16:44:20 -0400

Tassilo Horn [2021-08-16 20:47:52] wrote:
>> Tassilo Horn [2021-08-16 13:20:49] wrote:
>>> I've just fixed a bug in the highlight-parentheses repository,
>>> incremented the Version number, and wanted to trigger an update for the
>>> NonGNU ELPA package by running "make sync/highlight-parentheses".
>>> Thereby, I got the following errors (the "fatal: not a valid object
>>> name" occurrences):
>>
>> These are harmless messages, actually.
>
> Allright then.  Fatal errors from git make me a bit nervous. ;-)

IIRC they're fatal errors about separate runs of Git because we try
a few Git commands depending on which branch is available (there are
2 remote branches: the upstream branch and the nongnu.git branch, both
of which may be absent at the beginning).

Set `debug` to t in `elpa-config` if you want to see more details (but
presumably the `sync` will have changed your local Git repository enough
that you won't see these arrors any more, so to reproduce them you'd
have to `rm -rf packages/highlght-parentheses` as well as remove the two
remote branches, ...).

>>> Only the two commits d27ba136fd and 8d43acc799 are actually new but
>>> it listed all commits since its the initial one (the [ ... snip...]
>>> above).
>> The list is relative to what you have/had in your local repository.
> Hm, ok.  But I'm pretty sure I've seen that list (without the two most
> recent commits) yesterday when I've added the upstream repo to
> elpa-packages and ran "make packages/highlight-parentheses" so I assumed
> it must already know those commits.

IIRC the list you see is not the list that was just fetched but the set
of commits still missing from `origin/elpa/highlight-parentheses`, so it
may just reflect the fact that you had not yet done a `git fetch origin`.

        Stefan