Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 16:11:10 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> > As soon as I discovered NATIVE_FULL_AOT, I've been using it. JIT is
> > nice, but it's relatively easy to trigger. Even if that's async, it's
> > quite noticeable.
> >
> > I personally prefer to pay the AOT price in disk space just from a
> > latency perspective. Which is actually a space saving anyway, in a
> > multiuser system.
[...]
> Well, then it's a pity you are speaking up just now, instead of 8
> months ago, or whenever you discovered NATIVE_FULL_AOT.

AFAIR, this was discussed already several months ago.  For example in
this thread:

    https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2021-02/msg00950.html

My conclusion from those discussions was that we do want to support
AOT compilation so that it can be used by GNU/Linux distributions.  I
haven't been able to follow development closely for a couple of
months, but I am surprised to hear that this is now not even
considered something we want to document.