Re: New Context Menu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New Context Menu
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 19:50:42 +0300

> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 14:43:09 +0200
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
> Cc: juri@linkov.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> >> Could we add an option to avoid this and have the same interaction
> >> behavior than in gui please?: mouse-3 activates the menu, a click over
> >> an option selects it and a click outside the menu hides the menu
> >>
> >> I know this may be something external to emacs itself; maybe it is how
> >> xterm menu behaves, but probably there is a way to go around this
> >> without excessive complexity.
> >
> >I'm quite sure it's how the mouse support behaves, and has nothing to
> >do with what Juri did.  You should see the same behavior in any menu
> >on that display.
> >
> >It works for me as you expect on the w32 console.
> >
> :( I supposed that. It will be hard to have such a functionality in
> xterm then. And no other terminal works completely fine with emacs for
> me.

Actually, I take that back.  The reason for what you see is that the
menu is popped by down-mouse-3, not by mouse-3.  So if we can arrange
for optionally doing this with mouse-3 (why isn't that the default,
btw?), or if you could do that in your customizations, you should be
able to have the behavior you want.