Re: New Context Menu

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: New Context Menu
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 21:23:18 +0200

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 20:10:52 +0200
From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, juri@linkov.net

>Actually, I take that back.  The reason for what you see is that the
>menu is popped by down-mouse-3, not by mouse-3.  So if we can arrange
>for optionally doing this with mouse-3 (why isn't that the default,
>btw?), or if you could do that in your customizations, you should be
>able to have the behavior you want.

Indeed, I tried that and it works!

Something as simple as:

(global-unset-key [down-mouse-3])
(global-set-key [mouse-3] context-menu-entry)

seems to work; but maybe Juri made the other one the default for some
reason.

Juri?

Apart from that, there is another issue with the "Paste" command in tty.

Paste calls mouse-yank-primary, but in tty this commands calls
gui-get-primary-selection and there is no selection because it tries to
get the one on the primary selection not the one in the system
(secoundary or clipboard) not the emacs kill-ring either.

So I get: error("No selection is available")

Which is the correct response.  If you run on an xterm that supports
pasting, you will get the result as on GUI frames.  Why is this a
problem?

If within Emacs I "Copy" throw context-menu, then I expect I could paste
the copied thing in the same way. I expect C-y not <mouse-2> action.

And if I copy from the browser, the context's menu paste must do the
same and take it from the clipboard right? That's what a normal "Paste"
do.

In my case I use the xclip.el package from Stefan, so, everything could
go throw Yank in my case. But that's a different beast.

And how do you get "Paste" in the context menu, btw?

It is just there... what do you mean?