Re: New Context Menu

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: New Context Menu
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 08:20:47 +0200

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 20:08:05 +0200
From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
Cc: juri@linkov.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org

>> C-h k and press mouse-1
>
>With what toolkit? or was this on a TTY frame?

xterm, All the issues are with xterm. gui works fine for me.

Then I don't understand the issue you are describing.  I get the same
response on GUI frames as you report for xterm, and I think the reason
is clear: there's no binding for C-mouse-1, so Emacs shows only the
(existing) binding for C-down-mouse-1.

I will try to explain myself:

1) In a gui clicking (fast) mouse-X produces 2 events <down-mouse-X> +
<mouse-X> and emacs translates them to <down-mouse-X> + <mouse-X> ->
<mouse-X> when they are fast enough.

2) In a gui, holding mouse-X produces 1 event <down-mouse-X> and after a
small delay emacs processes the event, so releasing the button after
that delay is seen as an independent event <mouse-X>. In this case there
are two events and they are not merged as in 1.

3) In xterm, clicking (fast) mouse-X produces 2 events as well
<down-mouse-X> + <mouse-X> but emacs does not translate them; that means
that <down-mouse-X> is processed (shows the menu) and then <mouse-X> is
also processes (hides the menu and selects).

4) In xterm, holding mouse-X and the releasing after a while is exactly
the same as 3).

So as I said before, in xterm emacs does not use such a delay on tui, it
needs to be added or somehow provide a criteria to translate
<down-mouse-X> + <mouse-X> into <mouse-X> when it is done fast enough.