Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 09:02:23 +0300

> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
> Cc: Daniel Colascione <dancol@dancol.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 22:20:22 +0200
>
> > I'm actually surprised they have key bindings.  How frequently do you
> > undo/redo window configuration changes?
> You obviously don't need to call help functions as often as I :).

That's not true: contrary to the popular belief, I don't keep all of
Emacs in my memory.  I actually use Help functions very frequently,
which is why one of my frames always has a Help window open.  I simply
don't delete that window, because I know I'll need it again in a
moment.

> It is handy to restore back windows after some help lookup, or after
> something else opened a window that is left over. Compile log for
> example. I have my binding on C-v u and C-v r, but it is mostly C-v
> u I use form time to time.

My solution to the "window configuration issue" is to keep several
frames, one each for different tasks.  Each frame has windows arranged
as appropriate for that task, and that configuration rarely if ever
changes.  Of course, if someone has a lot of concurrent tasks and a
screen that is not large enough, they can run out of screen estate, so
scalability could be an issue.  But not for me.