Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 23:17:32 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 27.08.2021 17:33, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> Agreed.  We don't need to force everyone to use a single workflow.
>>> We should have a platform that supports reasonably well the different
>>> popular workflows.
>>
>> AFAIK SourceHut is the only project which explicitly aims to provide
>> full and convenient support for both web and email control, which makes
>> it the obvious&natural choice for Emacs, IMO.
>
>  From what I have seen of it, it's email-first, and far from "full and
> convenient support for ... web".
>
> For example, those quality-of-life features that Gitlab has in the
> browser which I previously figured would be difficult to translate  to
> email (the code review workflow, with inline comments and updates from
> the branch; automatically updated CI indicators and links to builds;
> editing of messages) are predictably absent.

This isn't really true though.  There definitely are links to builds and
inline comments.  Though I agree on parts of this.  One missing thing as
I see it is the updated patch. You need to find the latest patches, and
it won't update as in GitHub when you add another "oops" commit.

> Of course, it should still be a significant step forward compared to the
> current situation.

Yeah.  One might also think that some contributions could trickle down
to sourcehut itself when emacs workflow settles, so the "github way" of
contributing could get a little love?

Theo