Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 04:59:08 +0200

>> I wouldn't agree with you that young people don't know how to use
>> email.  That is something you are deriving yourself.  Sure Instagram,
>> Facebook, Dicord, Twitter, Slack etc might be very popular as a mean
>> of communication, but saying that young people don't know how to use
>> email is stretching it too far.
>
> I think the issue is not use of email as such, but use of mailing-lists.
> In my experience the reluctance to use email is that they feel
> uncomfortable sending email to a potentially large number of persons.
> In contrast posting on a forum doesn't impose anything on anyone (in
> their mind) because those who read it have to actively go and look
> for it.
> [ Of course, it doesn't make much sense, really, but this is about
>   people's perceptions, not about anything rational.  ]
>

>         Stefan

Mailing lists are different though indeed. Anyone still using News servers?

I don't know, I agree that people are not used mail archives, I don't use them
myself much either. Should we tack a forum interface on mailing archives? Like
SX? I don't think people use forums much either. Google has removed their option
"search in webforums" they used to have some 10+ years ago (I don't remember
what was the real name).

Someone (I think Dmitry) mentioned that it is easier to look in "issues" list on
GH, I don't think it is different at emacs mail archive interface on the web
at all. It is just that "issues" are integrated in the GH interface. Emacs mail
archive is not integrated anywhere but is a solo web page, which lots of peeps
probably don't know about.

But your mention of debbugs in Git, is not bad in that regard. I don't know how
is developing Savannah web service, but I suppose that mail archives and git
intefaces are on same computers, at least, payed by same account. Maybe FSF/GNU
could consider rewamping the interface to projects and make them more
gitlab/github alike.