Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 13:56:31 +0200

Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:

>> On Aug 28, 2021, at 20:42, Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> wrote:
>>
>> Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:
>>
>>> Out of interest, we currently work by attaching patches to emails but
>>> I understand the usual "git" way of doing it is by sending the patch
>>> directly AS an email. Is that something we'd have to do differently?
>>
>> Good point.  I tried this right now, and it seems like the patch as an
>> attachment doesn't work as well... You have to manually view the raw
>> patch by expanding the details section then `download raw message`
>
> Nice to see another sr-ht user here :-)

likewise :)

> https://drewdevault.com/2018/07/02/Email-driven-git.html

Though I agree in general with what that blog post states, it isn't
really pragmatic enough, imo.  If you want to optimize for contributions
you have to allow several workflows.  Sending a patch as an attachment
is, imo a little less daunting than setting up smtp and friends to allow
for a typo correction contribution (which is how many people first start
contributing).  I asked Phil Hagelberg how he handles things in fennel,
which is one of sourcehuts flagships if I'm not mistaken:

https://icosahedron.website/@technomancy/106830388735139937

--
Theo