Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 10:30:54 +0200

On 29 August 2021 10:23:17 CEST, Drew DeVault <sir@cmpwn.com> wrote:
>On Sun Aug 29, 2021 at 10:21 AM CEST, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> I no longer remember the exact details, it was something we bumped
>> into during discussions when Emacs switched to Git. AFAIR, it had to
>> do with working on a feature branch and frequently rebasing it onto
>> the latest master (so that the feature branch doesn't diverge too
>> much), then later merging from the feature branch to master.
>
>Hm, weird. I would like to see some reproducible evidence of this so
>that a deeper investigation can be done. I've used rebase thoroughly for
>many years on hundreds of projects without any such incident.

I know one way to do this, after having to untangle a coworkers mess a couple
of years ago:

1. Create your branch
2. Make some commits
3. Push them because work day over
4. Next day realize you should change something
5. Edit history
6. Get message from git that remote is diverged, pull to fix
7. Get a million conflicts with old commits
8. Resolve conflicts
9. Force push
10. Since this took all day leave work

You won't believe how crazy this case become. I've seen same commit at least 6
times in the same pr.