Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Drew DeVault
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 08:31:53 +0200

On Mon Aug 30, 2021 at 12:27 AM CEST, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> When you say it's not a requirement, how does the alternative work?
>
> Suppose I have a feature branch scratch/exciting-new-feature.
>
> And it has a number of existing commits A, B, C, where I did some work
> on said feature.
>
> Then I do a merge from master, creating a merge commit M which resolves
> a conflict. It also pulls commits M1 and M2 from master into the branch,
> both of which have a later creation date than A.
>
> Then I add commits D and E with some subsequent work.

Honestly, by doing this you have created a poor git history which I, as
a maintainer, would not care to review, be it via email or any other
means including the GitHub workflow. I would teach you how to rebase it
properly instead of accepting this work, and I think that emacs would be
wise to do the same.

However, you can still work with this on sourcehut by using git
request-pull(1):

https://www.git-scm.com/docs/git-request-pull

There is no UI for this, but it is planned.