Re: not quite understanding input methods

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: not quite understanding input methods
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 13:45:05 -0400

On 8/30/21 13:37, Stefan Monnier wrote:
My guess is that something in the belly of Quail is reading events and not
the characters in the buffer, but as there's no documentation I'm not really
clear on what is going on.
This is a hard-coded limit in the C code side of input-methods, as seen
in src/keyboard.c (line 3117):

Seems to be at 3065 in master.

     /* Pass this to the input method, if appropriate.  */
     if (FIXNUMP (c)
         && ! NILP (Vinput_method_function)
         /* Don't run the input method within a key sequence,
            after the first event of the key sequence.  */
         && NILP (prev_event)
         && ' ' <= XFIXNUM (c) && XFIXNUM (c) < 256 && XFIXNUM (c) != 127)
       {

It's already been requested to lift this restriction in the (fairly
distant) past.

IIRC there's no technical reason behind this limit, it reflects an
assumption that non-ASCII chars have presumably already gone through
some (other) form of input method.

I think it would be good to lift this restriction, tho we probably want
to do it progressively, e.g. by first introducing a var that controls it
(so you could lift the restriction without potentially impact everyone
else).

This sounds like a reasonable idea. If such a variable gets added to the master branch I will happily test it out. The one issue here is that I'm unsure that we would successfully learn about problems with the change if only a very few people were using it.

Perry