Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 01:39:05 +0300

On 02.09.2021 23:35, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
But don't they represent other users?

Of course they do. But what proportion of users? By the virtue of simply being on this mailing list, we are already skewed toward an older, more conservative crowd. And then we make it a veto power if *some* 5 people from said crowd disapprove.

The fundamental issue underlying
all of this is that different people have different ideas of who is
using Emacs. We cannot say if emacs-devel is representative of the
entire user base or not. One can certainly sense differences when
comparing it to different communities (HN,/r/emacs, /emg/, popular
bloggers, various developer groups, ...), but these all tend to skew
towards Emacs enthusiasts, so they cannot be seen as reliable metric
either.

I'm not saying it's easy, but we don't even try. We don't try to make whole-userbase polls (we talked about it a few times over last years, and never went through), we don't make decisions based on polls made by other people (only one exception that comes to mind is Lars' initiative regarding ring-bell-function), and we never make decisions based on what "others" do. Even when it is clear that when all other editors have made a certain technical decision in a different way than we did, decades ago, we stick with it. And I'm not even talking about major disruptive changes like a switch to CUA would be.

I agree that the ability for a handful of users to veto changes can be
annoying, but how harmful it is should be decided on a case-to-case
basis. Do you (or anyone else) have any examples of where one or just a
few people prevented a change from being made that you think would have
been good in your eyes?

Every recent discussion about a UI change has been like that. A suggestion is made, arguments added, some people disagree saying it won't jive with their workflow (never mind that Emacs is, in fact, customizable), and that's it. For example, the thread about bindings for undo-only+undo-redo, which would make Emacs friendlier to any user with experience in about any other text editing program out there.

Or take indent-tabs-mode, an old pet peeve of mine: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20322 I can talk about contemporary practice, whole-industry polls, threads with personal opinions anywhere, threads with people expressing confusion about the current default behavior... but a few people say a change will be inconvenient -- and it moves nowhere.