Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 15:11:44 +0300

On 03.09.2021 14:19, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Again you try to change any discussion of a change into an "addition".
Something that wouldn't change anything in the default behavior.

Because I think that's a much better way forward, in the long run.
But if you want to insist on changing the defaults without the opt-in
changes first, I guess we will be having this discussion many times in
the future.

That is just side-stepping the question. There was never any disagreement about opt-in changes, and when it is feasible, we of course have taken that route.

What's so peculiar about changing the behavior that flies in the face of
existing practice in all programming languages out there? And which
causes confusion in new users?

The way it is implemented made sense decades ago, but these days even
users who want tabs for indentation are surprised by Emacs behavior in
this area (because most of those users want 1 tab to mean 1 indentation
level).

You tried convincing in this before, and you failed.

That discussion is a great example of the problems I wrote about in this thread: we don't pay any attention to polls, hard statistics, articles and user posts (of which I produced plenty).

A few folks say "I don't like", and that's the end of it.

IME, at least on
my daytime job, source code produced by people these days with popular
IDEs (not Emacs) includes TABs.

Does it include tabs in the same fashion as what is produced by Emacs? Which actually mixes tabs and spaces.

So at least my experience disagrees
with yours.  Which might explain why this change didn't happen.

I wasn't just listing my experience.

Someone suggested to have "themes" in Emacs which could change the
defaults of many settings in one simple command.  Why not invest the
energy we waste in these endless discussions in making that happen?
It at least would make the changes easier for newbies, if nothing
else.

A few reasons. I don't really want to make Emacs more complex than it is. I usually strive to make the existing workflows simpler. There are only so many hours in a day.

Further: what kind of theme would include indent-tabs-mode set to nil? A theme called 'Sane Defaults'?

The users would need to find out about it somehow and then enable anyway, so what would make it different from having a custom option called indent-tabs-mode, which we have already?