Re: Could Emacs Have a Set-up Wizard?

From: Simon Pugnet
Subject: Re: Could Emacs Have a Set-up Wizard?
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2021 17:09:39 +0000

> [I changed the subject.]
Thanks, yes I was wondering if I should do that!

>> I'm not sure if this is of interest but I just thought I'd throw this
>> into the discussion:
>> https://blog.polaris64.net/post/could-emacs-have-a-set-up-wizard/.
>
> Thanks.  Unfortunately, the repository you link in the above blog post
> now gives 404.  Could you provide a working link?
That's strange, it works fine for me. Here's the link just in case
there's an issue with my blog: https://github.com/polaris64/emacs_wizard

Let me know if you still have issues and I'll look into it.

>> I thought about a "wizard" which would help newcomers to choose from a
>> set of profiles in a simple manner, and this blog post details a little
>> proof-of-concept I came up with. The idea was that it would keep out of
>> the way as much as possible so that existing users could easily ignore
>> it or disable the entry on the splash screen if necessary, however it
>> would still be prominent enough for newcomers to see it.
>
> This is orthogonal to the discussion about profiles, but I agree that
> it's a good idea.
>
> There is a discussion about it here, and perhaps you can find more in
> the archives:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-09/msg00601.html
Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to read the thread.