Re: Variables for easy customization (was: Gitlab Migration)

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Variables for easy customization (was: Gitlab Migration)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 10:15:16 +0100

On Sat, Sep 04, 2021 at 11:02:20AM +0300, Daniel Fleischer wrote:
> Starting simple, with the following four areas:
>
> ;; Convenient
> (setq scroll-preserve-screen-position t)
> (setq visual-order-cursor-movement t)
> (setq-default tab-width 4)
> (global-auto-revert-mode)
> (auto-save-visited-mode)
> (indent-tabs-mode -1)
>
> ;; Compatibility with other editors
> (electric-indent-mode)
> (electric-pair-mode)
> (cua-mode)
>
> ;; Session
> (desktop-save-mode)
>
> ;; Visual
> (tool-bar-mode -1)
> (global-visual-line-mode)
> (show-paren-mode)

Example (badly named) theme attached.

I left off CUA, desktop-save and tool-bar mode customisations because
I'm not sure they really go along with the others.

I have the feeling that we might want to make a separate CUA theme
that makes customisations that are common to people who turn on CUA
(or perhaps that's what this is supposed to be and I've missed the
point).

Also I'm not sure whether the way I'm turning on these global modes is
appropriate for use in a theme. If I disable the theme they stay on,
which is clearly not right.

Perhaps all we need to do once we have these themes written is put a
link on the splash screen to customize-themes?
--
Alan Third