Re: Why not set Emacs development workflow based on the popular git forg

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Why not set Emacs development workflow based on the popular git forges (GitHub, Bitbucket, Gitlab, ect)?
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 20:50:13 +0800

On Sat, Sep 4, 2021 at 7:24 PM Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Nowadays, the large software projects often conduct the development on
> > the workflow supplied by git  forges (GitHub, Bitbucket, GitLab,
> > etc.). But it seems that Emacs is still developed directly on git, as
> > described here [1], which makes maintaining GNU Emacs development a
> > lot of extra work.
>
> GitHub, Bitbucket and GitLab require their users to run non-free
> software, which already disqualifies them for the development of GNU
> software.

If so, I don't think there is such a complete free platform in the
world, even the SourceHut you mentioned below, which is also operated,
at least in part, as a commercial product. OTOH, Linux kernel [1] has
already adopted GitHub as its development platform, which is also
complete free and a classic example of successful free software.

> There was recently a discussion (perhaps it is still in progress? I
> don't know) about moving to SourceHut, but I don't think it's gone
> anywhere.  The problem seems to be that the present system exists and
> works, while nobody has sat down and completed the work required to
> migrate to a new one.

I can't say anything. Almost all Emacs developers and users are
excellent programmers/scientists/engineers. But excellent people also
have their own beliefs, quirks and their inner bottom line. Sometimes
it may not be consistent with the prevailing trend, just like the
existence of Emacs itself.

> Would you like to volunteer? :D

Technically speaking, I think there are so many guys in Emacs
community have enough ability to do this.

[1] https://github.com/torvalds/linux

Best, Hongyi