Re: Keybinding styles

From: Bird
Subject: Re: Keybinding styles
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 21:54:48 +0545

Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:

>> On Sep 4, 2021, at 6:26 AM, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>>
>>[clip]
>> I keep wishing someone came up with a clever way for modes to specify
>> their key-bindings in such a way that Emacs can automatically derive from
>> it the keys to use "normally" as well as the keys to use in Evil or the
>> keys to use in god-mode, or the keys to use in this hypothetical new
>> `really-cua-mode`, ...
>> So as to finally address this long-term maintenance challenge.
>>

> On Mac I never had the problem because C-x/c/v and other system
> shortcuts are bound to the Command key, not Control. So I can use
> Emacs bindings with Control and system shortcuts with Command. Can we
> do the same in Windows and Linux? We can use the win key as Control
> for Emacs—seems that was where the Control key back in the day anyway.
>
> Yuan

A lot of people use the mod4/win/super key for managing their
Desktop Environment/Window Manager especially people using
tiling window managers. Already a lot of Desktop Environments
have used Alt(meta) key for their own use which is very
annoying. So using the super key in place of control will
probably not be a great use to many folks.