RE: [External] : Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 16:40:25 +0000

> >   I don't see Emacs moving `C-x'
>
> That was not under discussion.

It's not?  I think one of the questions
raised in the discussion is whether (and
how) to let users start with a "profile"
(or just change the default behavior)
that gives them a `C-x' that they're
used to - or at least similar, such as
what `kill-region' does.

> Here's what you wrote:
>
>     > If we started Emacs from a clean slate today,
>     > we would obviously have put kill-region on C-x.
>
>     Would we?  Maybe, maybe not.
>     Pro: Killing text is similar to cutting text.
>     Con: It's not the same thing.  The `kill-ring'
>          is not what non-emacsers are used to.

Exactly.  I raised the _question_.  And I
pointed out that, though similar, the two
are not the same.

So again, if we started Emacs from scratch
today, is it really obvious that we would
put `kill-region' on `C-x'?  To me, that's
not so obvious - it's an open question
(but counter-factual, since we're not
starting from a clean slate today).