Re: Patch to avoid flicker in Isearch with lazy count

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Patch to avoid flicker in Isearch with lazy count
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 00:43:45 +0200

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

> > I have attached a new patch addressing the issues we discussed.  I have
> > also changed the name of the new variable a bit, I hope it's a bit more
> > self-explanatory now.
>
> Thanks for the patch, everything looks good.  Now pushed to master.

[Sorry for coming back to this late, it comes from looking over NEWS
in preparation of the upcoming release of Emacs 28.1.]

If the variable 'lazy-highlight-no-delay-length' only applies to
isearch, shouldn't it rather be named
'isearch-lazy-highlight-no-delay-length'?

If it does not only relate to isearch, perhaps this should be clarified in NEWS?
The current text is:

    ** New user option 'lazy-highlight-no-delay-length'.
    Lazy highlighting of matches in Isearch now starts immediately if the
    search string is at least this long.  'lazy-highlight-initial-delay'
    still applies for shorter search strings, which avoids flicker in the
    search buffer due to too many matches being highlighted.

I see that there are several variables starting with 'lazy-highlight',
and I know next to nothing about this, so please let me know what you
think.