Re: how to run makeinfo in a subprocess on Windows?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: how to run makeinfo in a subprocess on Windows?
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2021 22:52:03 -0400

Stephen Leake [2021-09-05 15:47:38] wrote:
> Is there a suggested way to handle this? I can just add code to
> elpa-admin to run perl explicitly when on Windows, but I'm hoping
> there's already code somewhere that handles this.

I'd *really* prefer not to add such hacks to `elpa-admin.el`.
Especially since this code's main target is elpa.gnu.org which is
obviously not running Windows ;-)
Whether or not it works under Windows is fairly secondary, so I'd rather
not obscure its code just for the benefit of Windows.
[ It doesn't mean I'm opposed to patches targeted at adding
  support for Windows, as evidenced by some recentish changes to ignore
  errors when creating symlinks, but I'd like to keep it to a minimum,
  especially if there's a workaround like running a cygwin build of
  Emacs instead of the native build.  ]

I know very little about Windows, but my crystal ball suggests that you
need to use a different version of `makeinfo` (after all, if a native
Emacs can't launch it, there's a change that other native apps can't
either, so maybe you're running some cygwin version of it?).

        Stefan