Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Representation of the Emacs userbase on emacs-devel
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 07:17:27 +0200

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>   > By the way, how much work would it be to switch C-x and M-x prefixes to
>> C-space and
>>   > M-space respectively.
>>
>> We will not change C-x and M-x in the Emacs defaults,
>> nor C-SPC and M-SPC.  Those are important commands.
>>
>> It is ok for a CUA theme to change them.
>
> This is completely backwards.  It is precisely because it is important
> that C-x should be changed.

Not for defaults, but for some other setup .... Like Vim people made Evil. Maybe
Nedit users would prefer Emacs to feel like Nedit? :) Just joking, but it may
help if it is easy to switch those two prefixes to something else, so people can
experiment easier? I think the biggest obstacle to those comming from Notepad is
the use of those few different keys.

I personally believe they should learn how Emacs does, not because of the
shortcuts itself, but because of concepts behind. Emacs builds on more complex
shortcuts than what is "normal" in Windows/Mac worlds, and to use Emacs
effectively it is important to learn how Emacs deals with keys.