Re: Gathering data on user preferences

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Gathering data on user preferences
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 08:42:08 +0200

On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 01:22:46PM +1000, Tim Cross wrote:

> Recent threads on proposed changes to default settings, provision of
> configuration profiles, surveying Emacs users etc make me wonder if we
> could use ELPA more effectively to gather valuable data on settings of
> interest.
>
> My thinking is that we could create an ELPA package [...]
>                            [...] for users to submit details about
> their current settings which could be used to help inform decisions
> regarding default settings.

Basically a good idea. There's well-established precedent with
Debian's popcon [1]. At install you are asked whether you want
to take part in it, the default being "no". So it is active
"opt in".

The original idea was to have some basis for deciding which packages
go into the first CD (remember those?).

Some preliminary work has to be done by Someone [TM]. For example,
you wouldn't like your IMAP account credentials published in some
statistics :-)

I.e. some categorising of variables into publishable and private
(perhaps with more than just two levels? Decisions, decisions)
seems in order (reminds one of that "safe variable" thing, doesn't
it?).

So I think some discussion and some design work are needed; but it
seems a good idea. And popcon (impressively) shows that it actually
/can/ work.

Cheers

[1] https://popcon.debian.org/

 - t