Re: master 2ed2999: Improve documentation of new Xref options

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master 2ed2999: Improve documentation of new Xref options
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 18:24:46 +0300

On 07.09.2021 16:05, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Or "commands which display many matches, with high likelihood that the
user will want to visit every match, rather than just pick one". At
least that was the thinking behind xref-show-definitions-function vs
xref-show-xrefs-function.

OK, I hope I fixed this stuff now, please take a look.

Thank you, sent some comments.

You didn't seem to adopt the suggested description, but OK.

And what about stuff like
dired-do-find-regexp-and-replace -- is that affected by any of these?

dired-do-find-regexp-and-replace is affected as well right now, but
that's a bug to be fixed (thanks for bringing it up).

I see you fixed that already, but what about dired-do-find-regexp?

It's in the same category as xref-find-references and others. Should
work fine already.

Should we perhaps treat dired-do-find-regexp like we do with
dired-do-find-regexp-and-replace, to avoid confusion due to
inconsistency?

dired-do-find-regexp-and-replace is a totally different command, which could use an entirely different UI (as soon as someone wrote one).

There is no way to have it obey xref-auto-jump-to-first-xref: it simply failed to work without the fix.