Re: [External] : Re: master 2ed2999: Improve documentation of new Xref o

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: master 2ed2999: Improve documentation of new Xref options
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 20:40:16 +0300

On 07.09.2021 20:28, Drew Adams wrote:
If possible, `dired-do-*' commands should
behave similarly.  There's value in them
having a consistent interface.

So much so that I'd say that if some command
has to break this consistency then its name
shouldn't use the prefix `dired-do-'.  Just
one opinion, of course.

find-tag and find-file also have a matching first word in the name.

Cute, but not very relevant.

The `dired-do-*' commands are a particular subset
of Dired commands.  They all have the same UI.

dired-do-search
dired-do-copy
dired-do-touch
dired-do-print
dired-do-kill-lines

Same UI, right.

That's not true of Dired commands generally (of
which there are hundreds).

As Eli suggested (but in my words), this little
thing is about the Dired UI, not Xref.

(But nothing prevents you from having an alias
whose name is more Xref-relevant.)

I've explained the distinction, in different terms, at least 4 times already. Please stop wasting my time.