Re: bug#49822: master e32c7d2: Change Python eval to send directly inste

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bug#49822: master e32c7d2: Change Python eval to send directly instead of using temporary files
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 21:19:02 +0300

> From: Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com>
> Cc: Mark.Barton@disney.com,  andrewjmoreton@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>   schwab@linux-m68k.org,  monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  49822@debbugs.gnu.org,
>   michael.albinus@gmx.de,  larsi@gnus.org
> Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 19:59:06 +0200
>
> On Tue,  7 Sep 2021 at 20:48, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> >> From: Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com>
> >> Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 19:37:41 +0200
> >> Cc: Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
> >>  Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>,
> >>  Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, 49822@debbugs.gnu.org,
> >>  Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>, Lars Ingebrigtsen
> >> <larsi@gnus.org>
> >>
> >> Okay then. Since there seem to be no better alternatives, I have
> >> attached a new patch reducing the limit to a hard-coded 1024 bytes.  If
> >> some day someone adds a variable specifying a more precise limit, then
> >> we can change this.
> >
> > I thought the conclusion was that we do know the limits, but they are
> > different on different OSes?  If so, why not use the correct limit for
> > each OS, instead of using the most strict limit?  The underlying OS is
> > available in system-type.
> >
> >> -    (if (<= (string-bytes code) 4096)
> >> +    (if (<= (string-bytes code) 1024)
> >
> > In any case, IMO this should be a defconst with a suitable doc string,
> > so that we'd have this stuff documented for posterity.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Yes, I agree this should be a defconst, defined in comint.el or maybe
> even in C, if there turns out to be a sensible way to query the OS.
>
> I'm afraid I've already proved that I am not up to this particular task :-)

I didn't mean to say anything like that, not at all.  Mine was a minor
comment, it's supposed to be easy to augment your patch to avoid those
minor issues.  Nothing complicated or fancy is expected, just a
defconst with a value conditioned on system-type.

As for where should that defconst live, I personally have no problem
with its living in python.el for now.  We can always move it later if
the need arises.

Thanks.