ARG and Dired commands, was: Re: [External] : Re: master 2ed2999: Improv

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: ARG and Dired commands, was: Re: [External] : Re: master 2ed2999: Improve documentation of new Xref options
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 23:08:21 +0300

On 07.09.2021 22:44, Drew Adams wrote:
I was talking about the behavior of the ARG argument.
And I think I'm correct about that: they accept and
handle ARG the same way.

Then we're really having different discussions. May I ask you to read the contents of the thread next time before replying?

But mea culpa.  You found one exception (out of 26
such commands in vanilla Emacs): with `emacs -Q',
`dired-do-search' does not accept an ARG argument:

It_should_  accept an optional ARG, IMO.  Would you
like to fix that minor bug?;-)

Considering that neither dired-do-search nor dired-do-query-replace-regexp have an ARG argument, it doesn't seem logical for the newer counterparts to have it.

Either way, it's orthogonal to the question at hand. Please file a bug if there is a problem there that annoys you.

It doesn't sound hard to write a patch for it as well, if you work out the issue of backward compatibility.

In my shame-faced defense, that command in Dired+
does have an optional ARG.  (IOW, I fixed the bug;
dunno whether I also filed a bug report for it.)

...or point at one, if the bug is already filed.