Re: Suggestion for improving ergonomics of repeat-maps: define-repeat-ma

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Suggestion for improving ergonomics of repeat-maps: define-repeat-map
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 14:54:23 +0000

acdw <acdw@acdw.net> writes:

> I wrote the macro `define-repeat-map' to alleviate this large amount
> of configuration.  Using this macro, the above turns into this:
>
> ~~~
> (define-repeat-map case
>   ("c" capitalize-word
>    "u" upcase-word
>    "l" downcase-word)
>   (:continue "f" forward-word
>              "b" backward-word)
>   (:enter downcase-dwim
>           upcase-dwim
>           capitalize-dwim))
> ~~~

I haven't taken a detailed look at the source, but I have two
superficial questions:

1. Why is the name argument required? Shouldn't the macro be able to
   gensym a new symbol to use for the map?
2. Could the argument structure be flattened, so that you could write
   something like

        (define-repeat-map
          "c" capitalize-word
          "u" upcase-word