Re: Building "vanilla" emacs on macOS (summary)

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Building "vanilla" emacs on macOS (summary)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 16:24:37 +0100

On Wed, Sep 08, 2021 at 08:24:59AM +0530, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:
>
> > In it's default set-up Emacs on macOS won't use libjpeg, libtiff,
> > libpng and giflib even if they're installed as those image types are
> > all built into NSImage, which is the default. So they're not
> > essential.
>
> Ok. Then there is a bug in the generated ‘configure’ script. In my
> trials, ‘./configure’, said ‘no’ for the above libraries when I didn’t
> install the Homebrew packages and ‘yes’ otherwise.

that's true, but you don't require them as long as configure reports:

    Does Emacs use native APIs for images?                  yes (ns)

If you have both native API and the libraries built-in you can make
Emacs use either, although I can't remember off-hand how to force it
to use the libraries.

Now, if you're building Emacs 27 it won't report that, but it will
still prefer the native image API, and I'd suggest whatever else you
do you don't actually want to use giflib as the native gif support is
less buggy.
--
Alan Third