Re: [patch] two patchs about tab-bar.el

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [patch] two patchs about tab-bar.el
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 10:03:04 +0300

> This is my tab-bar config
>
> (setq display-buffer-alist
>       '((eh-display-buffer-in-tab-p
>          display-buffer-in-tab
>          (reusable-frames . visible))))

Thanks, now everything is clear.  Then we need to decide
what alist parameters should define your preference
of using the current tab.  One possible new parameter
could be 'prefer-current-tab':

  (setq display-buffer-alist
        '((eh-display-buffer-in-tab-p
           display-buffer-in-tab
           (reusable-frames . visible)
           (prefer-current-tab . t))))

But 'tab-bar-get-buffer-tab' already has argument 'ignore-current-tab'
that could be used to implement what you want.  Then if someone doesn't want
to prefer the current tab, this can be configured with:

  (setq display-buffer-alist
        '((eh-display-buffer-in-tab-p
           display-buffer-in-tab
           (reusable-frames . visible)
           (ignore-current-tab . t))))

So I propose to use the existing argument 'ignore-current-tab'
with these meanings of its values:

- nil: prefer the current tab;
- t: ignore the current tab.

Do you agree?