Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 09:17:50 +0000

I don't think the ` character is "ugly" -- that Markdown (for instance) uses it for similar purposes (but as `...`) shows that it's a character that people are comfortable with using in semi-structured non-plain-text files like source code files.

FWIW, I too do not see why ` would be "ugly". I attach screenshots of what that character looks like in ten popular programming fonts; each shows the nine (!) possible conventions, together with the Unicode quotes. What would perhaps be welcome is a user option to ask Emacs to display apostrophes as acutes in `foobar' (and possibly another option to ask Emacs to use `´ instead of ‘’ in messages, errors and help buffers).