RE: [External] : Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 18:09:15 +0000

> This shows that Unicode quotes consistently look
> good, while the others look antiquated at best.

Again with the newer-is-better refrain.
Antiquated, really?

And that means ugly?  Ugliness is in the
eye of the beholder.

> IMO, we should automatically display in comments and docstrings
> whatever quote character the user prefers according to
> `text-quoting-style', and automatically insert the correct
> quote character when typing "'".

So if someone prefers ` and types ' she gets
`?  So each time she types (setq foo 'toto)
she gets (setq foo `toto)?  Whether in a doc
string, a comment, or elsewhere?  Why would
that make sense?

Doing that anywhere would be awful, IMO.  But
the main (only?) case we're talking about is,
I think, Lisp comments.