Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master ff4de1b: Fix quoting style in Lisp comments
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 03:15:13 +0300

On 17.09.2021 02:20, Phil Sainty wrote:
Which for me is another argument for not changing how `symbols' are
quoted, because then we can't differentiate between these two quite
distinct uses:

If I'm writing plain English and want to quote something for emphasis
I'll use 'single' quotation marks.  If I'm writing elisp comments and
want to refer to a symbol, I'll use `symbol' quoting which gives it
the appropriate face in emacs-lisp-mode.  Personally, I *want* those
two things to look different, because when I see `symbol' highlighted
in a comment it's telling me something about the code, rather than
merely providing emphasis.

100%.

This is what I've referred to as difference between punctuation and "markup" syntax.