Re: Better emoji support

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Better emoji support
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 20:20:10 +0200

    Kévin> Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:
    >> Thanks, this is a nice change.  I have a problem only with one character.
    >> Displaying NORTH EAST ARROW ↗ with emoji font is inappropriate to me.
    >>
    >> If adding this character to the emoji script was not a mistake,
    >> is it possible to customize this to display such characters
    >> as a symbol like before?

    Kévin> admin/unidata/emoji-data.txt contains a whole section where "omitted
    Kévin> code points have Emoji_Presentation=No", and AFAICT NORTH EAST ARROW
    Kévin> is one of those omitted code points.

True. But it has the 'Emoji' property.

    Kévin> IIUC, the Unicode standard means for those omitted characters to
display
    Kévin> as "text" rather than as "emoji", unless they are followed by a
    Kévin> variation selector[1]; maybe some adjustments in fontset.el are in
    Kévin> order?

As "text presentation" rather than "emoji presentation", not as
"text". If we want to follow the Emoji_Presentation property, thatʼs
easy enough to arrange.

Robert