Re: Question about xref and adding "find all references" button to built

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Question about xref and adding "find all references" button to built-in help
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 07:47:13 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> Hi!
>
> On 19.09.2021 23:17, Arthur Miller wrote:
>> If I would like to add a link as there is one in Helpful, to find all
>> references
>> for a current symbol in help-mode buffer; which xref functionality should I
>> look
>> at? Is there a ready made function already, or do I have to write something?
>
> We have functionality to searching for references in the current project (also
> works when inside an Emacs sources checkout) and throughout the load-path.

As extensive as helpful's help-ref? He searches through each and every source
file found in the load-path. Where do I look, can you give me some pointer I can
start playing with? Or should I do build my own search?

> But you probably want this to work in installed Emacs as well?

What do you mean by "installed Emacs"? Emacs without sources? Sorry, I just woke
up, have to get that coffein going up :).

What about to just have a keyboard shortcuts; say 'R', instead of link. With
source code displayed it already looks a bit crouded. I think helpfuls buffer
looks a bit busy with all the links.

I could imagine living with just a shortcut and maybe a context menu item.

I attached a screeshots of helpful and built-in help with my yserdays patch both
showing source code for the comparison.