Re: Patch proposal: display symbol source code in help buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Patch proposal: display symbol source code in help buffers
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 08:59:39 +0300

> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 21:50:35 +0200
>
> Here is my second proposal to bring built-in help on par with external
> offerings.

Thanks.  Like Lars, I wonder why this is needed, given that we already
have a way to show the sources by a command invoked from the *Help*
buffer.  Can you tell how this feature makes a difference wrt what we
have already?

And a minor nit:

> * lisp/help-mode.el ('help-mode-inline-source'): New option.
> ('help--fetch-c-src'): New function.
> ('help--fetch-lisp-src'): New function.
> ('help--symbol-source'): New function.
> ('help-make-xrefs): Check for 'help-mode-inline-source' and
> call 'help--symbol-source' to perform insertion when possible.

We don't quote symbols inside the parentheses, only in the
descriptions that follow the colon, as you did in the last entry.

Thanks.