Re: Proposal: Forwards-Compatibility Library for Emacs

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Proposal: Forwards-Compatibility Library for Emacs
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 13:05:35 +0000

> ;; Is this excusable?
> ;;
> ;; ;;;; Ensure NonGNU ELPA is in `package-archives'
> ;; (eval-after-load "package"
> ;;   (lambda ()
> ;;     (unless (or (rassoc "https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/"; package-archives)
> ;;            (rassoc "http://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/"; package-archives)
> ;;            (rassoc "https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu-devel/";
> package-archives)
> ;;            (rassoc "http://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu-devel/";
> package-archives))
> ;;       (add-to-list 'package-archives '("nongnu" .
> "https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/";)))))

I also wanted to bring attention to this snippet, which if uncommented
might be a lot more controversial than the actual content of the library
itself. More generally, if a compatibility library were to be used more
widely, it would offer a possible route to update old defaults, such as
in this case, adding NonGNU ELPA to package-archives, or perhaps update
the default values of the IRC servers used by rcirc and ERC from
freenode to libera. If this could even be excused (and I get why people
could have issues with this), it would have to be used very
conservatively to not interfere with any existing configurations.

--
        Philip Kaludercic