Re: Proposal: Forwards-Compatibility Library for Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Proposal: Forwards-Compatibility Library for Emacs
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 17:50:52 -0400

> I am not sure how this would help provide forwards compatibility for
> older versions? Are you proposing that instead of using
> file-name-concat, libraries use compat28-file-name-concat that is
> defined in a library for older versions?

Yes.

> My intuition would be that this wouldn't be worth the effort, seeing as
> most people would probably hesitate to use such long names.

If the function is important enough that the author would otherwise make
its own local function, then I think they'd be happy to use that
slightly longer name rather than having their own local definition.

If not, then it's probably just as well if they simply don't use it
(and that should avoid having the compatibility library accrue
too many definitions of too little value).

        Stefan