Re: Shorthand variable named "elisp-shorthands" seems wrong

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Shorthand variable named "elisp-shorthands" seems wrong
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 12:38:11 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> But consider that most current variables matching "^read-" has something
>> to do something to do with reading input from the user, IOW more with
>> e.g. "read-key" than "read".

In Common Lisp and Lisp languages reading things is always prefixed
"read", whether from the user or from streams.  There are many variables
that influence the reader this process and they are traditionally
prefixed 'read' (or *READ-...* in CL's case).  Elisp has slightly
bastardized with things that do not directly influence the Lisp reader,
but other readers.

But Elisp still keeps 'read-circle' and 'read-with-symbol-positions',
for example for controlling the Lisp reader.  So I think Po Lu's
suggestion of 'read-shorthands' is spot-on.

João