Re: Shorthands have landed on master

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Shorthands have landed on master
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 10:03:01 +0100

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 8:15 AM Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:

> João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 11:40 PM Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> > wrote:

> I see. Do you think it would make sense to use predefined shorthand
> groups, in case someone *would* want to use cl-lib without the prefix?

Yes, I do think that makes sense.

...meaning that drawbacks aren't immediately visible to me right now :-)

Since elisp-shorthands is a file-local variable, I think it allows (eval)
specs.  Perhaps you can try with that, for now? I don't think it'd be
hard to add better support for such predefined groups of shorthands.

> This was in reference to the compat.el discussion from a few days
> ago. It was mentioned that shorthands might provide an alternative to
> aliasing function definitions. But this doesn't make much sense, if a
> prefix has to be used, short or long: I want to call
> (macroexp-file-name), not (co-macroexp-file-name), (~macroexp-file-name)
> or (compat--macroexp-file-name) to provide transparent compatibility.

If I understand this right, then I think you may solve it similarly to the
cl- situation.

But you understand that, for the moment, shorthands are only supported in
Emacs 28, right?  Not sure where (in which versions) the library you're
intending to write would be loaded.  If that library is loaded in Emacs 27,
elisp-shorthands is simply ignored and the file is loaded normally.

João